Re: neverending CFNY review

>"That may be the grunge influence in general that Jeff is referring to.
>It's been a leading influence on new music for long enough that folks are
>looking for something fresher."
>
>Come on, LB.  I thought you knew me better than that :0)  I think the
>grunge label is pretty meaningless (although I won't argue the point).  I
>was referring to 5 4 Fighting guy's vocal style.  His baritone range sounds
>particularly Vedder-esque to me, reaching for that deep macho bellow that
>is one of Vedder's trademarks.

Oops.  Sorry for mistaking you.  :)

I haven't listened to the cd, but I thought his performance at the show was
somewhat different.  He played piano and uh, didn't somebody play chello?
It's far enough off the usual rock set-up that I thought he was sort of
daring, and I didn't notice a resemblance to Eddie.

BUT, I do notice a lot of other folks sound like Eddie.  There's a definite
style of vocals that seems to have come from Grunge, that sort of nasal
thing where they sing through their teeth.  Doesn't REM sound that way, too?
  Are they all attempting a Seattle accent?

LB