Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V9 #63

>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:19:31 EST
>From: Sroundtable@aol.com
>
>the ticket is irrelevant- the tickets are trademarked and copyrighted

Odd, in all my three decades of ticket-buying I've never noticed a
copyright symbol on any of them, nor a trademark except maybe for the
Taco Bell ad printed on the back.

>IMHO, ticket brokering may be legal in most places, but it should be
>illegal because it hurts consumers

Doesn't seem to be hurting them at all, the consumers seem to be
quite happy to pay the prices.  That's what keeps the brokers in
business.

Oops, I forget, it's rich assholes who buy the tickets.  I guess you
draw a distinction between rich assholes and consumers...maybe rich
assholes are not consumers because the consumers are the fans who
deserve the seats.  But OTOH many people who buy from brokers are
fans as well.  In fact, that's WHY they're willing to pay the
brokers.  So it can't be that the rich assholes don't DESERVE the
seats, because they ARE fans.  Hm, nope, looks to me like you're just
mad that there are genuine fans out there willing to spend more than
you.

>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:34:31 EST
>From: Sroundtable@aol.com
>
>All brokers do is re-sell a product for
>more than it is sold to the public for by snatching all the good ones and
>exploiting the demand for the entertainment of a popular band.  It is wrong.

To start with, I don't think it's true that they "snatch all the good
ones". And what the brokers are doing is speculation, pure and
simple.  As others have noted, it's quite possible for brokers to
lose money as well.  Try it yourself if you don't believe me.  If you
outlaw ticket brokering you'll have to outlaw most of the commodities
industry and a good chunk of the stock market as well.

>And i say this as a staunch republican.

But slightly misguided.

>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:43:43 -0500
>From: "Ligouri, George P." <GLigouri@oxhp.com>
>
>"Listen closely to see if the group debuts and new material?"
>
>I think my speculation I made earlier this week is going to be correct. I'll
>actually bet on it. Don't be surprised if they throw a couple two-tree new
>songs into the set list this summer.

I'll be very surprised, but I hope you're right.  But I'm not going
to count an improvised verse grafted onto an existing song as "new
material", either.

BTW, speaking of bets, it looks bad for me and my bet that Bob Plant
wouldn't open for The Who.  I still find it surprising that he'd
accept the opening slot.  When I (or attending list members :-) see
it I'll believe it.

Cheers,
--
Alan