Somethin' for nothin'

	 >From: "Jeff House"
	>Subject: Re: disagreement on brokers
>
>Ticket brokers, scalpers and touts are not taking anything from anyone.

Sure they are.
They're taking away the chance for me to buy a ticket at the offered price.
They're also taking away money from an individual who could have purchased
(if given the option) the same ticket at cost.
If you consider that the band should be the only entity that should allow
free-market price setting, then they (the brokers) are also taking away
profit from The Who or Ticket Bastard.

>they are simply offering a product at an
>elastic price.

What gives them the right?

>I think your argument should be more with the "rich
>assholes" who have the money and desire to outbid you for the good seats,

This I agree with.  But, this issue is a non-issue if you take the broker
out of the formula.
There *is* a reason why ticketmaster and/or bands don't sell tickets to the
highest bidder (just don't ask me what that reason is......fairness?)

>not the dealer who is simply making a living by buying low and selling
high.

Taking money from the rich and giving it to the ...... the....... the......

>The other rich concert-goers are your competition, and they probably
>aren't even 'real fans'.

But there shouldn't *be* any competition.
The competition should be who is paying close enough attention to when a
band decides to go on tour, and when the tix go on sale, and then who can be
first in line at the venue the morning the tix go on sale.  Victory to those
who really care the most.
Other wise, why not sell *all* tixs at a public auction or something?
At least *that* way the $$ won't go to some freeloading broker.
What the hell does the broker provide in all of this?
The service?
The broker get's something for nothin'.

My view, by Kevin in VT