Re: bible class

Alan, re

> > If he did, he'd only be paraphrasing what Pete said he thought at
> > the time (even as he performws there). The hippie movement was an
> > American phenomenon, generally scoffed at by Brits young and old
> > (any actual Brits reading this feel free to jump in and amplify,
> > contradict, etc. :-)

I think, speaking as someone who was the right age (born in 1950), that
over here we *played* at the idea of being hippies.

If you get a chance to see the Stones in the Park video, or Message to
Love, you'll see a lot of faintly self conscious people wafting around
in "hippy" style clothes, with flowers, or being body painted with
"psychedelic" style designs.

Unfortunately, there was just a little too much British reserve and
stiff upper lip (not to mention a lot of parents shouting "You're not
going out looking like that!!"), lousy weather, and not quite sufficient
political polarisation for the British to get involved in hippiedom.

I don't think we scoffed at it, I rather fancy we envied it, especially
what was reported as the free love aspects of the whole thing;-)

Cheers,

John