Re: Pete's Pissy Mood

>Like:  "This isn't *my* idea!  It's Roger's!"  Maybe this is some early
>damage control.  After the album, Pete can safely say, "See, I told you it
>was a bad idea!"

I think it's a good idea to spread the blame around.  One thing TED
definitely need is to avoid the situation from about 1982 where the band was
sitting around waiting for Pete to do all the work.  Not only is this
artistically difficult, but it means Pete takes all the criticism as well.

>The most telling statement is "I have no idea what I might write."  This
>tells me that, contrary to some conjecture, Pete in no way has started
>attempting any new *Who* material.

There was plenty of potential material from the last tour.  I'm thinking it
may be cold now, though.  For anybody who heard the recent versions of TKAA,
did it have the same life it had last tour?

>And I'm tired of hearing about his 1200 or so pieces of music that he has
>stashed away (doesn't the number seem to go up by a few hundred each time
>he mentions it?).
>
>It's almost like a cop-out.  He's saying:  "Oh, I can still write music
>alright.  Just not Who music.  I've moved beyond that."

All it needs is Who interpretation.  I'm sure they could do "Mary Had a
Little Lamb" quite brilliantly.  Of course, ah, there are some lyrics that
would click a little better than others.

>I think he's covering for the fact that he's scared shitless about
>attempting a new Who album.  Anyone else getting that vibe?

Um, Roger is, I think.

There's reason to be scared of it.  What they've got in the record bins
likely sells at a steady rate because they've got a good reputation as a
band.  Anything they do now reflects on that reputation.  The Who2K tour was
a tremendous risk.  The CFNYC was a tremendous risk.  But they're good, you
know?  They pulled it off really well, and the fans turned out to see them
do it.

I think the problem is thinking in terms of "one more last album."  If
there's only one, then it's got to be perfect, right?--and that's not
something you'd want to start on.  What are the odds of anything being
perfect?

>He brags about the depth & complexity of these "pieces" of music he's
>written.  How different they are from "Rock" music.

It's all the same thing.  Pete's "rock" compositions are full of depth and
complexity--that's why The Who has such a broad fan base.  The Manchester
"Crossroads Now" was basically an orchestral piece.  Who cares?

Well, okay, Pete apparently hangs around with some folks who do.  But there
are plenty of accomplished musicians around these days who see no barriers
at all between the two.  There was a time when The Who was one of the
important forces breaking down barriers in music.  It's curious that, all
these years later, Pete would join the forces of conservatism.  That sort of
thing only limits creativity.

>Well, whoopdy-ding-dong-shit.  A lot of good those "pieces" of music are
>doing sitting in some storage room or whatever.  I hope he wrote 'em all
>for himself 'cause they sure aren't doing humanity any good, no matter how
>esoteric & mature they are. I'm sure Pete would say that they *were*
>written for himself & not us, the public.

Or an extremely limited fan base of whatever social circle he's been moving
with the last few years.  Some music fans can be very stodgy, you know.

Since Pete has that split personality, he might as well use it.  One
composition for the London Chamber Orchestra, one for The Who tour, one for
Broadway.  Whatever.

>If he's still such a goddamned genius than he should be able to crank out a
>handful of simplistic Rock tunes, right?  Come on , hack, crank out some
>Who fodder!  How hard can it be?  <insert IT"S HARD joke here> SCOOP sales
>aren't exactly breaking the bank, I'm sure.

Doesn't look like it's going platinum, but Pete's releases seem to have been
doing fairly well.  Didn't he say the websites turned seven figures the
first year?

>He tells us once a month how easy & boring it is playing all the old hits
>on stage.  Why doesn't he have that attitude about creating new Who
>material?  Where's Mr. Professional when it comes to that?  All of a sudden
>*that's* a challenge!  Sure.

See above.  It's got to be perfect.

>Conclusion:  If we are lucky enough to get a new Who album, I foresee a lot
>of cowriting credits.  Pete doesn't want this thing sitting solely on his
>shoulders.

Nah.  Pete wants the whole thing.  He doesn't like to share.

;)
keets