Watford Review 1

I can't remember if anybody posted this; two articles from the Watford
Observer 8yh February re the 31st Jan gig there.  Thanks to Steve W who went
back over to get the papers.

IanC

The first article review of gig;

FOR a band which declared back in 1965 hope I die before I get old It is
ironic to hear three of them still belting it out in 2002
- albeit minus one of the original line-up who sadly followed the line to
the letter.
However, when Pete Townshend, now 57,
led The Who on stage at The Colosseum in Watford on Thursday, January 31,
and
stayed there for more than two hours, it seemed like the three survivors
regard themselves as anything but old. Townshend, Roger Daltry, 58. and
John Entwistle, 58, were joined by Zak Starkey -son of former Beatle Ringo
Starr - on drums and Jon Rabbit Bundrick on keyboards. The band played one
long set, lasting about two hours 20 minutes. A solo spot by Pete Townshend
about halfway through gave the rest of the band a short break but he
remained on stage - no mean feat.
The capacity crowd cheered as the lights went down and everyone in the
ground floor seats stood up as the band came on and remained standing for
the rest of the show.
The band went straight to work, opening with I Cant Explain, the first
single released by The Who back in 1965, followed by Substitute, Anyway,
Anyhow, Anywhere and I Dont Even Know Myself with Roger Daltry playing
blues harp.
According to Roger Daltry, the band last played in Watford in 1966. There
were some good tunes in Watford, he told the crowd. Someone shouted at him
to Get on with it to which he replied Are you eckling us?
Pete Townshend announced a couple of things from Tommy and launched into a
string of highlights starting with Amazing Journey, the instrumental Sparks,
Pinball Wizard and Im Free.

John Entwistle took the vocal lead for My Wife, giving Townshend a chance to
focus on his guitar work, complete with the trademark windmill arm action
and a couple of leaps.
Who Are You and Behind Blue Eyes were belted out with energy and Pete
Townshend took up an acoustic jumbo guitar to sing a solo version of
Drowned. The rest of the band returned and Jon Bundricks synthesizer
heralded Baba ORiley, followed by The Real Me, a brilliant version of You
Better You Bet with the audience singing the fills, 5.15 and a belting
version of Wont Get Fooled Again with an extended guitar improvisation to
close the main set.
The band came back on to huge cheers and Roger Daltry produced a
semi -coustic guitar for a rendition of The Kids Are Alright. dedicated by
Pete Townshend to our children and our childrens children.
The familar verses were delivered with all the vigour of the original single
release and was extended with a guitar jam and new lyrics sung by Pete
Townshend.
Marvin Gayes Baby Dont You Do It became another jam session before the
band leaped into My Generation followed by a belting version of Eddie
Cochrans Summertime Blues and Young Man Blues as a last encore.
Roger Daltry thanked the crowd for being a great audience but added that the
venue wasn~t built for rock and roll.
He continued: What was built for rock and roll? Nothing!
Pete Townshend cut in: We were!

by Beowulf Mayfleld