Re: Pete's marble in the throat comment

> > > I just don't think Pete is the non-caring, fuck everything and
> > > everyone man that you're making him sound like.
>
>No, I think you're both on the wrong track and wrong. I didn't
>specifically say he was non caring, fuck everything and everyone, just that
>he doesn't give a toss what people think of him. He is without doubt a
>caring man, his charity work alone confirms that.
>
>Pete - like every "artiste" and "big star" I've had the pleasure of
>meeting in my life - is so insulated from ordinary people like you and I
>that he has little or no idea of how we think or believe.

I'd say Pete (as in other things) has a Jekyl and Hyde response to this.  On
the one hand, talented artists can't be successful if they really give a
damn what anybody thinks.  If they have an artistic vision, then they have
to follow it--or else lose it.  They have to have a certain disregard for
any obstacles to success.

On the other hand, Pete cares very much what people think--that's what the
whole Who thing is about.  For years he's watched himself perform,
self-conscious about what the audience is thinking.  He gets in a terrible
lather about critical reviews.  And you can see it in his eyes when The Who
has nailed a good show (haha, showed them!--presumably all those kids in
grammar school who teased him about a big nose.)  ;)

I think Pete does seek out what fans really think, as well.  He made some
comments after the first shows of last tour that indicated he was looking
for realistic and critical comments, rather than complete, glowing
adoration.

keets