Re: fish and chips

Schrade wrote: Actually, H.L. Mencken's book "American English" states that
the slang
> term refers to the fact that "beginning in 1795, *lime-juice* was issued in
> the British Navy....as an anti-scorbutic."

> However, I couldn't find "scorbutic" or "anti-scorbutic" in my dictionary.
> Oh that Mencken!

> So they didn't suck on actual limes.  They drank a lime-juice.

I'm with you on this, because I can just imaging a bunch of "knarled
tooth Brits" (mc's words) lining up to get their weekly ration of
lime juice and some guy in charge of the stores controlling the line.

They would never trust the sailors with the raw lime, with them "knarled
teeth" and all! :)

This whole thread is so ????ing funny.

"Teach your children well..."   CSNY

Joe in Philly
Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.