Re: uninformed reviewers

From: Sroundtable@aol.com

To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: Re: uninformed reviewers

I believe Mark Leaman originally wrote:

> mc

> And what if I said I disregard rave reviews from people who never saw a
> full Who concert with John Entwistle to compare the new shows with. If I
> really wanted to be anal, I could say I disregard any reviews from someone
> who never saw them with Moon. Only those of us who have can honestly
> compare any other live performance with The Who when they were in their
> prime. Think about that.

I'd have to agree with the above statement, almost in total.

Part of me wants to say, knowing that this is an elitist
perspective, that if you never saw TheWho-> while Moonie
was alive, you've never seen, and will never see TheWho->.

That elitist comment now out of the way, I also feel _very_
fortunate to be old enough, and _very_ fortunate to have had
the opportunities (though, _I_ did have a hand in making those
opportunities into realities) to see TheWho-> with Keith Moon
during tours in the years of '67/'68/'69/'70/'71/'75 and '76.
In some cases multiple times per tour.

Honestly, I wish you all could have seen the things I witnessed
at those 12 or so concerts spanning '67 ~ '76.

I was additionally blessed with the great fortune to have met
and spent an evening drinking and talking with Moonie on February
18, 1975 @TheRainbow on Sunset Blvd. (I know...how many times _is_
he gonna throw _that_ in our faces???).

I believe 'mc' replied to Mark's comments thusly:

I wouldn't discount this opinion. It's entirely valid. However, I would say
that an experienced reviewer could critique a show based on the general
performance, no matter who was in the band. I think I can go to a show and
make a reasonable determination of the overall quality without hving seen the
band before. True, I couldn't rate the show compared to others by the same
band, but I could determine if the guitarist was "on" or not, or if the
singer's voice was good, or the overall energy.

mc

Gotta admit, much as it squeezes the bollocks to say so,
I _must_ agree with 'mc' here, which completely contradicts
everything I said in response to Mark's comments?

Damn Tauruses, contradictory hypocrites, all of 'em!! I mean,
damn, 'mc' was a reasonable person when writing the comments
and opinions quoted above. How could I not agree??

AnEnglishBoy~