Re: reviews of detroit

In a message dated 8/25/2002 8:00:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

<< The first time I saw The Who was 1967 in a high school gym.  I have seen
them
 numerous times since and I saw them again last night.  12th row left center.

 Based on my own experiences I don't ever recall seeing Pete a happy camper
on
 stage.  Yes, every now and again he will crack a smile, but outright happy
 nope.  The music and the show come first.  He treats it like a profession.
 One that he happens to be very good at doing.  Last night was no exception.
 This is not a guy who expresses happiness as a rule.  He is one serious dude
 that would probably be closer to depressive than downright giddy.  I am no
 expert and I am no shrink, it's just my worthless opinion.

 During the Quad tour I remember him scolding Gary Glitter for getting too
 chummy with the audience and throwing the show behind schedule.  Pete held
 out his watch and started banging on the face.  This is a business and we
are
 on a schedule.  That's the same attitude I think he takes into most shows.

 I do not want to sound like I am contradicting the other reviewer who
thought
 Pete looked bored.  I can understand his point of view, however, I interpret
 Pete's mood differently.

 There is no better showman with a guitar in hand.  Last night he proved it
 again.  During WAY, he attacked the guitar, it turned into a lethal weapon.
 You folks all know the songs that were written with windmills in mind.  Last
 night he hit everyone of them.  No not flawlessly but good enough.  At one
 point he even did 7 or 8 in a row then looked at Roger and yelled out the
 exact number to him.  Looked rather proud of it if you ask me.  I thought I
 saw a smile.

 I know I saw a smile at the end of a number of songs that brought the house
 down and the crowd was as loud as I have ever heard one.  Arrogance,
 definitely, does he act like a man that goes sailing on his yacht in the
 South of France, definitely.  But as far as I am concerned he has earned his
 arrogance and his yacht.

 In my own small opinion nobody has written more meaningful songs in rock and
 roll.  Nobody puts more into their music than this man has over a career.
As
 much maybe, but not more.

 Has anybody written more emotional or thoughtful rock and roll music than
 Tommy or Quad?  How about bash your brains out music that actually sounds
 good?  I don't think it's possible to play the beginning of WGFA too loudly.

 I'm more afraid of the speakers blowing than having ever thought it sounded
 too loud.  I'd be arrogant too if I had written PT's catalog.

 The old Who were combustible at any given moment.  They were actually
 dangerous.  You never knew when someone or something could explode.  This
 version is much more toned down, the combustibility is gone but they still
 put their hearts and souls into the music.  Peter may look bored but I don't
 think there is anything he would rather be doing then performing in front of
 20,000 screaming Who fans like he did last night.

 Pete's stage persona was always one of being "on the muscle".  It's his
 stage. Just ask Abbie Hoffman.  Now it's one of being in total control to
the
 point of almost automatic pilot.  It can at times appear as boredom, but in
 my mind he looks like a guy that has the world by the balls and doesn't care
 who knows it.  The guy has been doing the same thing for over 35 years what
 can you expect. I wish I was that bored.

I agree with you 100% - I am only 24 years old and I am just so grateful that
I have gotten to see them 5 times in the past 7 years. And I was fortunate
enough to meet John and see him solo. I hope there will be at least a couple
more times because they are indeed the best band in the world. Especially
LIVE!!!!!
Good insight to Pete and the boys :)

Gloria in Detroit