Geezer Who fan review of Auburn Hills

The first time I saw The Who was 1967 in a high school gym.  I have seen them
numerous times since and I saw them again last night.  12th row left center.

Based on my own experiences I don't ever recall seeing Pete a happy camper on
stage.  Yes, every now and again he will crack a smile, but outright happy
nope.  The music and the show come first.  He treats it like a profession.
One that he happens to be very good at doing.  Last night was no exception.
This is not a guy who expresses happiness as a rule.  He is one serious dude
that would probably be closer to depressive than downright giddy.  I am no
expert and I am no shrink, it's just my worthless opinion.

During the Quad tour I remember him scolding Gary Glitter for getting too
chummy with the audience and throwing the show behind schedule.  Pete held
out his watch and started banging on the face.  This is a business and we are
on a schedule.  That's the same attitude I think he takes into most shows.

I do not want to sound like I am contradicting the other reviewer who thought
Pete looked bored.  I can understand his point of view, however, I interpret
Pete's mood differently.

There is no better showman with a guitar in hand.  Last night he proved it
again.  During WAY, he attacked the guitar, it turned into a lethal weapon.
You folks all know the songs that were written with windmills in mind.  Last
night he hit everyone of them.  No not flawlessly but good enough.  At one
point he even did 7 or 8 in a row then looked at Roger and yelled out the
exact number to him.  Looked rather proud of it if you ask me.  I thought I
saw a smile.

I know I saw a smile at the end of a number of songs that brought the house
down and the crowd was as loud as I have ever heard one.  Arrogance,
definitely, does he act like a man that goes sailing on his yacht in the
South of France, definitely.  But as far as I am concerned he has earned his
arrogance and his yacht.

In my own small opinion nobody has written more meaningful songs in rock and
roll.  Nobody puts more into their music than this man has over a career.  As
much maybe, but not more.

Has anybody written more emotional or thoughtful rock and roll music than
Tommy or Quad?  How about bash your brains out music that actually sounds
good?  I don't think it's possible to play the beginning of WGFA too loudly.
I'm more afraid of the speakers blowing than having ever thought it sounded
too loud.  I'd be arrogant too if I had written PT's catalog.

The old Who were combustible at any given moment.  They were actually
dangerous.  You never knew when someone or something could explode.  This
version is much more toned down, the combustibility is gone but they still
put their hearts and souls into the music.  Peter may look bored but I don't
think there is anything he would rather be doing then performing in front of
20,000 screaming Who fans like he did last night.

Pete's stage persona was always one of being "on the muscle".  It's his
stage. Just ask Abbie Hoffman.  Now it's one of being in total control to the
point of almost automatic pilot.  It can at times appear as boredom, but in
my mind he looks like a guy that has the world by the balls and doesn't care
who knows it.  The guy has been doing the same thing for over 35 years what
can you expect. I wish I was that bored.