Re: Who makes the Who the Who?

> Imagine the deliberations that went on in the Who camp
> after the June 27 death of bassist John Entwistle. One
> day they were getting ready for a tour, the next the
> surviving members, shocked and grieving, were
> confronted with existential questions about the
> chemistry and composition of a rock band.
>
> They canceled a few dates, declined all interview
> requests, then followed that old show-must-go-on
> axiom. But before they made that decision, there had
> to be some hand-wringing: What, exactly, constitutes
> the Who?

Nah.  I doubt very much if this happened.  They got the show on the
road, and THEN they got to wondering what the hell they were doing and
what, exactly, constitutes The Who.  They may have wavered a little bit
in the first few days while they struggled to get the sound together,
but then I think the crowd response pretty much took care of any doubts
about who and what they were.

There is something existential about the situation, but certainly it's
not something these guys should wonder about.  They are themselves,
whatever you call it.

LB

=====
God bless the thunder.  Love to The Who.
http://finance.yahoo.com