From: Sroundtable@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 12:25 PM
To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: Re: i'm sure hershey was amazing, but u should have been at
shoreline

In a message dated 08/08/2002 10:54:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> I think Hershey would have been
> a 10 had John's classic "Woooooops" and other thunderings been present.
> But, a 9 out of 10 is one fucking powerful show.
> Volume and distinct low-end were key.
> Well, and the fact that Pete completely played like a possessed person
> re-visiting IOW.

Ask anyone who was there.  If there is such a thing as a 10 w/o John, then it
was here.  I'd say for THIS version of the Who, it had to be a 10.  Not only
was Pete jumping around and windmilling like a fucking madman, but Roger was
stupendous... dumbfounding.  The two of them were going blow for blow like
two boxers.  Pete would hit a combination w/some serious guitar licks and a
set of windmills and a jump with roger counterpunching with some amazing
notes, a few awesome screams, and some major mike twirling.  It all built up
to the most amazing rendition of Sparks I've heard since live at Leeds.

mc

"Just fucking listen and shut up!"- Pete Townshend live in Long Beach 1971