review

Ah.  Here's a review that mentions both lyrics and bottle, from
Petetownshend@yahoogroups.com:

>I don't think I've ever seen the band this tight, this much in synch,
this passionate about the material -- and I've seen every tour since
1989.

Roger sounded absolutely fantastic.  Pete attacked the songs with an
energy that bordered on ferocity.  Pino proved to be a strong, valuable
addition to the band, although it was heartbreaking to look over at the
left corner of the stage and not see John there.  And Zak proved once
again that he was the only person who could replace Keith Moon in the
Who.  Rabbit and Simon were also great.  John wasn't mentioned by name,
but Pete did make reference to him during the improvisation sequence
that's been added to "The Kids Are Alright."  Pete sang something to
the effect of, "Some people say he died for rock and roll, but it would
have been better if he had LIVED for rock and roll."  He also sang, "We
all need to live, for as long as we can."  That was a nice message.

The show was fabulous and everybody seemed to be having a great time...
until the conclusion of "Won't Get Fooled Again," at which point some
asshole in the audience decided to throw a bottle of water on to the
stage from high up in the nosebleed seats.  The bottle hit Roger in the
arm, and while I don't think he was seriously injured, his arm did seem
to be hurting him.  He was clearly furious, and dared the asshole to
come on down to the stage and try to do it again in front of Roger.
Pete tried to calm Roger down.  He walked over to embrace Roger and
said, "C'mon, Rog, it's only one guy," but Roger would have none of it
and broke away from Pete.

The band left the stage, and the good mood and spirit in the arena was
irrevocably broken.  For a few long moments, I was seriously doubting
that they would come back for an encore.  If I was in their shoes, I
wouldn't come back out.  But they finally did return, and Pete tried to
make light of what happened.  He announced that if the audience was
going to throw things on to the stage, they had to be watches, wallets,
women, and money.  Someone threw a watch, and then someone else threw a
$5 bill and then a $20 bill on to the stage, which delighted Pete.
"We're going to use this money to pay for Roger's hospital bill," Pete
said in what seemed to be an imitation of Stan Laurel.  Then they
launched into the 3-song Tommy suite, and ended the night on a high
note.

As a New Yorker, I'm ashamed by what happened.  I expect better from
the people in my hometown.  Maybe the jerk was from New Jersey???? :-)

I'll be back at MSG tomorrow night for the second show, and I'm hoping
it'll be asshole-free.

Glenn G.

=====
God bless the thunder.  Love to The Who.
http://health.yahoo.com