Re: Are the Who important?

L. Bird wrote:

> Has anyone been following the recent discussion on O&S? Someone asked if
> The Who are "important," and I don't think the list really came up with a
> good definition of what important means before launching into the
> discussion.
>
> Do any listers here have any comments? What defines important?

Hmmmmmmmmm...............coming out of lurker's mode for a few moments, to respond to this interesting thread.  What DOES define importance?

The few responses I have read to date seem to interpret this word as historical significance.  Perhaps.  Unfortunately, one must further narrow down the definition as musically historic, or as a brief nod in regards to a descriptive  synopsis of our youth culture in the late '60s.  I will leave the anthropologists of the world to answer that question.

AnEnglishBoy <campbell@fix.net> wrote:

The Who-> have/has influenced POP music
The Who-> have/has influenced POP culture
The Who-> have/has influenced POP theatrics
The Who-> were the 2nd or 3rd band to have thematic LPs
The Who-> created the Rock Opera
The Who-> continue to influence countless new artists
The Who-> created "Intellectual Rock" as a genre
The Who-> were the first true "Punk Band"
The Who-> defined the term "Powerchord"
The Who-> were the first band to use pickslides

The Who-> were, are, and will continue to be, IMPORTANT!

Perhaps.....................but if I were to ask my mother if any of this was important...................

I tended to respond to this question in a more personal manner.  What defines importance to each and every one of us?  Rather than ask if the Who has changed the course of modern history (musically or otherwise), I think the real question should be did the Who change the course of YOUR history, (musically or otherwise).

Now, THIS question is personal..............there is no right and wrong..............and it makes for a more interesting discussion, as everyone has an opinion on the subject (whether they chose to express it or not).

I suspect the vast majority of us HAVE been strongly influenced, in some manner, by the music of the Who.  Ergo, we all believe that the Who are important (why else would we all belong to this list?).

I would be rather curious as to WHY the Who are important to each individual.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...............however, like Kevin, this has been rather a knee-jerk repsonse to a thread that caught my imagination.

Debbie

'I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in,     And stops my mind from wandering      Where it will go.'      Lennon/McCartney