Re: 80s Who video of YBYB

> But it's rock n roll!  Who says anyone needs to look presentable?

Good point.

> Pete and Rog looked ragged as hell in that Join Together video from
> Wbetter, Wbest, but still were cool as hell.

See, I think that was their ugly phase.  You actually like those patch-jeans
Roger wore?  Yuck.

> Roger a yuppy?  I don't think so.

Why not?  He's rich enough.  He deserves a nice sweater every now &
then.  Very proper.  Very British.

>  How many sheet metal workers who grow up to become mega rock
> stars with long hair, bare chests on stage, and sing profane lyrics end up
> wearing a sweater tied around their neck while playing a song live?

Well, it was a video-shoot so Roger was lip-synching.  And he only wore
the tied sweater on the "Don't Let Go The Coat" video which helped set
the romantic mood (really reaching here).  And what about the spiffy Mod
dress of the early years?  How does that fit into your image of Daltrey as
the eternally-ex-sheet-metal-worker?

> You certainly know more than I about how the Who's videos were pro-
> duced,

That's right.  I've produced four.

> but I'm just hesitant to believe that pete and rog came up with those
> ridiculous looks.

Well who's idea do you think it was?  Their manager Bill Curbishly?  Can
you seriously see him telling four established musicians in their 30's what
*he* thinks they should wear for a video shoot?  C'mon!  Do you think
people are telling them how to dress now?

The Who were told how to dress their early Mod days & perhaps in
their Pop-Art / Psychedelic phase - but after that it stopped.

> I believe you, but their images are nevertheless disturbing.

That's part of the reason they're called the Horrible Who, right?!  You wanna
talk disturbing......how about those suspenders Daltrey was wearing in the
70's?!  Now *that's* disturbing!

> What about how they looked for that footage from the studio recording of
> WAY.  Wasn't that 1978?  they looked fine to me- certainly presentable.

What's your point?  I never said they *always* dressed poorly in the 70's.
Or did I?

> They looked like hall and oates in the YBYB video, for god's sake!

And they looked like the Allman Brothers in the 70's.  So what.  That's
fashion.  Fa-fa-fa-fa fashion.  In 20 years, you don't think people will be
laughing at what *you're* wearing right now?  What about those kids walk-
ing around in those HUGE pants nowadays?  Imagine when they're gonna
have to show those pictures to their children!  "Daddy, how come your
pants had enough fabric for six other pairs?"

- SCHRADE in Akron