Re: the war to come

General Greg:

I am quite confident you're aware of everthing I'm about
to relate but for the benefit of the rest, I feel there
are certain things that need clarifying.

>>Afghanistan has a long history of never being beaten in war.  The British
>>invaded in the 1800's and got clobbered by a bunch of ragged tribesmen.

Although they did withdraw from the 1st Afghan War (1839-42),
the British did achieve a somewhat temporary victory with the
2nd invasion. True, they were not conquered, but the Afghan
throne was eventually usurped and the British replaced it with
the "rightful" Khan. By the end of the war in 1880, the country
was forced to cede its foreign relations to the British gov't
in India and it remained that way for the following 40 yrs.
They *can* be beaten.

>>To an extent. There were guerillas in the Rev War, like those of Col.
>>Francis Marion, the famous Swamp Fox of South Carolina...
>>
>>Mixing them with Continental regulars worked best. The myth of the
American
>>rifleman standing behind a rock or a tree is largely just that - a myth!

Apart from the natives of course, the first, true guerillas on
U.S. soil predate the "Swamp Fox" by about 20 years in the form
of irregular units during the French & Indian Wars. Colonials,
recruited by the British, formed regiments known as Rangers (most
famously, Roger's Rangers) and fought covertly behind enemy lines.
Some of their doctrines are still in practice today.

Ironically, the colonials would soon turn against the very people
that armed them. One hundred years later the two sides did become
allies but that fact is a grim reminder of recent, similar history.

>>The Congress of 1941 knew what to do as did the Congress of 1917
>>and 1802 (the ones that declared war on the Barbary Pirates, of
>>the region that now encompasses Algeria and Libya - they were the
>>terrorists of their day)

Technically, I believe, it was Libya (Tripoli at the time) that
declared War on the States in 1801 after the U.S. refused to pay
them a ridiculously large and greedy tribute payment.

What is interesting *today* about this campaign is what effect
American action must have had on Arabs at the time. For the 1805
land assault, the force consisted mainly of hired Arabs, along
with European mercernaries and less than a dozen American marines
making up the balance.

Not only were Arabs were repeatedly denied food rations but the
usurped Tripolitan pasha was robbed of his hope for reinstitution.
He and his followers had joined the march after being promised
this from a U.S. delegate. After their assistance in the assualt
and victory at Derna, the vow was reneged and the pirates were
left in control under certain conditions. Hamet Pasha and his
people had been stiffed!

Many countries are guilty of mistreating foreign people and in
no way is this last bit meant to single out the States. However,
given the current discussions, I felt this story might be of
interest to some.

"We are marching as to war...",
Stoo

P.S. Who relevance? The sleeve of "Too Late The Hero" is an
homage to fighting men throughout the ages.