Re: Biggs' Essay ... Let's see action...

At 02:01 PM 9/14/2001 -0700,
Greg Biggs/CVC Collectables wrote a wonderful essay that should be
published in the
editorial page of the Wall Street Journal.  I won't re-post here because
re-posts are wearing
thin on me right now.  Greg wrote about the history of war in the West with
an emphasis
on the last 300 years.

Greg, I like what you wrote because it made
me feel very uncomfortable.  While I agree with your analysis I do not
agree with some of your conclusions - mainly that we are weak-minded and
will forget this.   In addition to impacting
the entire country and world (for commercial reasons that I will not go
into), it will cause a
great impact on our economy.  Unfortunately, many businesses will fail
because of these events.
I believe that this act will stay in America's face for a long time.  It
took over
10 years to build the WTC, so we will have at least that much time on our
reminder clock.

I do not think you can measure or compare this event to anything that has
come before it
in terms of a motivator for action (I don't mean revenge, I mean
fortification for prevention).
The only thing that comes close is the Trojan horse story.  We can expect
all kinds of
Trojan horse attacks in the future (they will come in all shapes and
sizes).  The current
leadership appears to be in-tune with where we have failed, but we need to
stay on them
to help them focus on what is important.  We also need to allow for
security to factor into
the cost of our airline ticket, or our drinking water, or the food we
eat.  There are tons of
ideas and solutions that are being developed, and smarter people than I are
presenting them.  Maybe they will start listening to Tom Clancy now.

Thanks again for your post.   Nice action!

Joe in Philly