Re: Give Blood

>     I've been watching whenever I could today while still working, and
>thus missed alot of time of keeping up, so I didn't know that they were
>able to evacuate that many floors!  Alot more people managed to get out
>then I had envisioned, and you can now bet that we'll be startin to hear
>from some of them pretty soon!  I definitely wanna hear what anyone from
>those buildings has to say!!

Casualties are going to be way short of 50K.  Reportedly people as high as
the 91 floor on one building got out.  There are several first hand reports
of working down the stairs from heights in the eighties and lower floors,
and that the stairwells were packed but that no one paniced.  Firefighters
led some out of areas where the emergency lighting was out.  Reportedly
there were some people rescued from the helipad on one roof.  They had about
an hour to get down from each tower after the impact--it took a that long
for the steel to heat up (to 1000 degrees) enough to give, and then the
force of the upper floors dropping collapsed the floors below.  Many of the
workers had been there in the '93 bombing and knew from the shudder in the
building what it was, looked for clear stairwells and started right down.
The second tower had about 15 minutes to evacuate the upper floors before
the second plane hit.  It was people in the target areas that had no chance
at all--those were all trans-continental flights and had full tanks of fuel
that exploded inside the buildings.

There was a small groups of firefighters that walked out tonight, and also
some Port Authority officers who were pulled out of the debris.  There are
people still in the basement waiting for rescue.

> > One engineer, they said on PBS.  He built them for just this occasion.
>
>     Yeah, I at least knew about that.

Who is/was he?  It was designed back in the seventies, right?  Pretty damn
stout.  The bomb couldn't budge the columns in the basement back in '93.
The engineers said the columns were three feet apart in the outside
perimeter, and the building didn't even sway when it was hit. I couldn't
believe it. (Dan Rather is so stupid.  He still hasn't figured it out.)  Can
you believe the rain of paper?  It's everywhere.

> > The plot was based in Florida.  They're investigating Miami, Daytona and
>other "Central Florida" locations.
>
>     It's going to be a WILD ride from this point out for the next several
>weeks/months!!

The FBI seems to be right on top of it.  There were several phone calls from
passengers on the planes, saying good-by to relatives and describing the
terrorists' methods.  The wife of the Solicitor General gave very clear
descriptions, perhaps sufficient to identify some of the individuals as
known terrorists.  There were also apparently some communications between
the Pittsburg plane and ground control--plus I thought they said a location
in Miami.  They're thinking at least one of the terrorist pilots trained at
Embry Riddle in Daytona and abandoned a car near there.

keets