Re: The Who Aren't Popular Anymore - Who's To Blame?

>The more interesting question (to me, anyway) is how can they get what they
>want now?  It seems like they want (in this order):
>- A civil relationship
>- Money
>- Fun
>- Good art

Good list, Jeff.  I suspect the ranking might vary per member of the band,
but it's all in there.  You might add "music," too.

>They can pick whatever lyrics or themes they want.  If it doesn't have a
>fat, funky bass line it just ain't worth the trouble.

As much as I like a good, solid bass vibration, I do appreciate what they're
doing with it just lately.  John's bass is pretty muddy, but so are the
drums, by current standards.  The two combine to make a solid rumble that
may be the textured 2000 equivalent to their "wall of sound."

On the third leg of the tour, it all combined to sound about like a freight
train at near distance, but early on there were instances were it became a
curtian of white noise that Pete played against.  I can't hear it so well in
the recordings, but I suspect they achieved that same artistry at
Manchester.  Lovely effect.

keets