Re: Who/Beatles/LALC

> > Seems like the better strategy would have been to take some of the edge
>off the material so it would have a broader appeal.
>
>Taking the edge off The Who's music? Are you kidding???? I'll pass.

Just a comment on possible strategy.  Do you have any suggestion as to why
the album didn't sell well?

> > was the Seventies Who that captured the US, not the power-pop Sixties
>version.
>

>Wrong. It was Tommy and their performance at Woodstock which captured the
>US. I guess we can credit Pinball Wizard most of all, because the album was
>their first to enter the charts at a reasonable level and go up.

1970 was the next year.  They were making their shift away from Mod in 1968
and set their image for the new decade with TOMMY.

> > Becoming the establishment is what killed rock.
>
>No, getting used up and bands playing it safe and/or trying to make it
>"mature" killed it. Hey, how much Rock do you think there can be before
>it's repeating itself? I haven't heard anything new since the early `70's,
>just rehash. Still Rock was the number one music until the late `90's.

Rock's still number one--and by a wide margin, too.  That's what makes it
The Establishment.  Once it's fully accepted, though, and no longer the
underground genre, then it loses much of it's power to make a statement.

keets