Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #236

>As much as one might like, none of the VERY early Who->
>tunes contained the musical complexity of TheBeaTles' music,
>until, say, SSAU (So Sad About Us).

Don't you have this the opposite way around?  Compare MY GENERATION (the
album) to PLEASE PLEASE ME, or MEET THE BEATLES.  If you're talking about
melody and harmony, then yes, The Beatles had more complexity, but The Who's
forte has never been, nor ever will be, melody.  "My Generation" and "The
Ox" (where The Who deconstructs a surfer tune) both made statements that The
Beatles never equaled.  Other songs from MY GENERATION tend to have similar
weight and freshness.  Recent covers and performances sound contemporary.

As other people have said, you can't easily compare the two bands.  it would
make more sense to list their differences.

keets