Re: Beatles/BTTB

>  rock is supposed to be rebellious and go against the
> > establishment, not go for it.
>
>That was true in the beginning, but as the generations aged the rebellions
>were resolved. Are you saying that a band can't be a Rock band unless
>they're against the establishment? What if the establishment is doing well
>(as it was just a few long months ago)? No Rock bands allowed in this case?

Becoming the establishment is what killed rock.  If there's no establishment
to fight against, then it loses its teeth.  Other movements have taken its
place since the late Seventies--when Pete abandoned the rock genre, BTW.  He
knew it was dead.

Music is a much more complex landscape now, and it's possible for bands to
make meaningful statements regardless of their roots.  Being an erstwhile
rock band (but now a brand name) shouldn't stand in The Who's way.

> >  He's on the pop side, but he deserves  respect
> > for seriously raising the bar on music video.
>
>Yeah...they were the videos which killed MTV. Thanks a LOT, Mike you child
>molester! I mean, REALLY! What adult hangs with a 10 year old boy and a
>monkey? Who didn't see this coming?

He's nuts, but it's something that often runs in artists, and it doesn't
affect the quality of what he produced.  Like Madonna, he's set the standard
for much of the music business these days--except on the male side.  Whether
old-time rockers like it or not, MTV (and subsidiaries) IS much of the music
business right now, and it's likely to remain that way until the next
revolution.  Those polished, cutting-edge commercial videos are something
that everybody has to compete with.

>   THRILLER and BAD compare very
> > favorably to The Who's rock opera.
>
>Have you ever considered psychological counciling?

Maybe you're not a dance fan.

;)
keets