Married to a Beatle Postal Worker?

Mark:

>Jim:
>
>Congrats or condolences, whichever is more appropriate (was that
"gainfully"
>or "painfully?"). I've been married 26 years, so you can see where I stand
>on the issue.

Good question there.  I'll let you know in about two years when it all goest
to hell.  Funny, I didn't have severe stomach pains before.....?

>> but on the other hand, Who Sell Out was inspired by Sgt. Pepper (don't
let
>>anyone kid you by telling you differently;
>
>Uh, uh, uh! It was already in progress when SP was released. Now maybe by
>Pet Sounds.that I can buy.

Changes on the fly, my friend, changes on the fly.  I'll give you a
possible/probable scenario:  While recording the crux of Sell Out, Kit
Lambert rushes into the studio with a copy of Sgt. Pepper under his arm.
"Wait lads!  Hold off!  Keith get down off the ceiling for a minute."  He
warmly smiles over at Roger and gushes at Roger's Dippety-Doo.  "I want you
all to listen to this..." and puts on the Sgt. Pepper record.  Bam!  "We've
got to work some of these concepts into OUR record, right?" says Kit.

And there you have, a change on the fly.  I'm sure Sell Out had the band's
performances being recorded FIRST and the "concept" and sound effects and
jingles filled in during POST PRODUCTION.  You can see, the ONLY common
thread that makes Sell Out a "concept album" are the jingles/pirate radio
themes.  Musically, there is NO common theme like Tommy or Quad.  In Tommy,
the songs were recorded BEFORE the concept was fully developed; kind of the
same thing.  It wasn't until after all of the songs were recorded (and a
couple conceived once a crystalline idea had formed) that the "opera" was
created into it's now present form.  Just because they were recording Sell
Out when Pepper was released doesn't mean that they weren't influenced by
it.  Hell, look how the Stones used to emulate the Beatles too.  Satanic
Majesty wasn't a direct response to Pepper?  So was Sell Out.  I like Sell
Out better though; if that will keep me off the hit list.

Peace and a great weekend to you all...

Jim in Colo Springs

"...it means that we're blocked up all the time."  PT