From: owner-thewho@igtc.com [mailto:owner-thewho@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Sroundtable@aol.com
Sent: 05 September 2001 18:36
To: TheWho@igtc.com
Subject: the Who and their "Pop" period

However I believe it is possible to
claim that The Who were the first "hard rock" band in the sense that they
distilled many things down to a particular crunching sound but only after a
great period of "pure" pop i.e I'm A Boy, Picture Of Lily, I Can See For
Miles etc, etc.

First of all, everyone had to pay bills.  The more "pop" sounding Who tunes
were what was selling at the time since "hard" rock wasn't widely accepted
by
the mainstream.  I can see for miles, however, is as far from "pop" as it
gets for the time.  I can't explain and My generation also had a hard edge
not heard before their release, except when the Who played live.  I'm a Boy
was "pop"?  I'm listening to it now.  it has pop elements but includes the
who's hard sound during- "my name is bill and I'm a head case! The doctor's
makin up on my face! etc"- plus it is about a boy in a family of genetically
engineered girls- a pretty "pop" topic, huh?  Pictures of lily was about
masturbation.  How bout Boris the Spider?