publicity vs. strategy

Last week there was an interesting bit of discussion on another list about
publicity vs. strategy.  There is a definite difference between these two
things as a means of promoting a product.  For example, publicity would be
advertising, getting mention of the material on the radio, in magazines or
on TV, interviews on the order of "we're releasing blah, blah, please buy
it."  An example of strategy, on the other hand, would be in how the
material is packaged, how it's released, subject matter, etc.

That brings me back to The Who's upcoming new album.  :) Bjorn has already
mentioned that it should have a "parental advisory" sticker on it,
regardless of anything else.  Now I'm thinking it should be right on the
edge of annoying as far as lyrical content goes.  The guy with the book on
"colostomy rock" went a little past good taste, but that's the general idea.
  So, a new Who album ought to be calculated to be slightly annoying to as
many age and ethinic groups as possible.  All very ironically, of course.
;)

Comments from the group?

keets