Who-Salad

Random thoughts from this Who freak...

Recently picked up LAL Deluxe and the cover CD Subsititute.  I am enjoying
both discs very much, especially Leeds (of course).  It is wonderful having
a definitive "Tommy" with Keith.  Aside from boots, the only other Tommy is
on IOW and that is wonderful too, but the Leeds recording quality is FAR
superior.  I do however have a question in regards to other folks opinions
of "See Me, Feel Me"...

I knew that Roger had sung off-key originally and that his voice is
overdubbed for the Deluxe edition.  I've heard some people here say that
they are really bothered by this and I was prepared to get a sort of 'Benny
Hill female-stunt-woman' presentation (a cigar for anyone catching that
reference).  I was very suprised to hear that the overdub is very well done;
seamless.  My question is, does anyone know where that sound bite came from
that was used?  I seriously doubt that Roger did it for the release within
the last year or so.  My guess is it was taken from another recording FROM
that period.  Any thoughts?

Also, for those of you who haven't gotten Substitute - songs of the Who yet,
I think it's worth it.  I have a love/hate relationship with "tribute" CDs,
but since this is the Who, well...  My personal favorites are Bowie's "Pics
of Lily" and Paul Weller's "Circles".  The weakest song on the disc for my
money, is Pearl Jam's "Kids" version.  Reminds me of U2's cover of "Helter
Skelter"; no punch to it at all.  Blah.  But all in all, I enjoy it very
much.

Finally, I was listening to Phish's "5:15" and was reminded of why I think
Pete is such a magnifenct songwriter.  A lot of talk has gone on here about
why Pete is such a great songwriter/composer and there's a line in "5:15"
that sums it all up for me:

"Magically bored on a quiet street corner; free frustration in our minds and
our toes..."

That could very well be one of the most beautiful descriptions of youth I've
heard, in one single line.  THAT is what makes Pete so special in my mind.
Sometimes he writes eloquently in a complete song idea, or sometimes it's
just word selection/imagery or a it's a broad, thought provoking idea
written in one line.  Truly amazing.  Pete rules.

Okay, not really "finally"; more salad.

I wrote the above random verbage about a week ago and it never got sent
(because of the recent emailing changes) so I had time to manifest some more
random babble...

Does anyone know of a website that has a jpeg or downloadable pic of Pete -
a very specific pic of Pete...  It's a spectacular black and white pic and
can be seen inside the cd case of the deluxe LAL; a photo take from BEHIND
Pete as he's leaping and holding his guitar high over his head facing the
audience.  I would love that as my wallpaper.  If anyone knows, I would be
grateful.

And really, one FINAL question.  I would like to have a set of drums made
sometime soon and I want a complete replica of Keith's Pictures of Lily
drums made.  Does anyone know where I might be able to order such a silly
request?  Any "drumsmiths" in your localities?

That's it for my word salad.  Peace to all...

Jim in Colo Springs