Re: John Entwistle/Beatles/etc

AnEnglishBoy wrote:

> As fas as "And Your Bird Can Sing" is concerned, it
> is one of the great rock guitar "duets" and is very
> complex, by rock guitar standards. I think it is
> GREAT fun!!

Yeah, and he did that with one guitar while bands like
Iron Maiden have two guitarists to play duets...

Mark Leaman wrote:

> And 100% of Beatles' riffs. Pete's lead on ICE is in
> the ballpark of AYBCS.

No, it's not. AYBCS solo is far more difficult than
the one on ICE. If you play guitar, try to play
both...

> I mean, if you want to compare leads, how about the
> one in All You Need Is Love?

It's a very simple one. I never denied the fact that
lots of Beatles song had simple solos...

Kevin O'Neal wrote:

>> Remember that Paul McCartney was the first guy to
>> call attention on rock bass guitar,
>  Why, 'cause he played left handed????

No, because he was the first one to have a melodic
approach to the instrument in rock. He did that before
Entwistle...

> You're right, we can't.  There's no comparison!!!!!!

I think you're getting me wrong... I just love Keith
Moon's playing, and Entwistle was always my favourite
bass player. But is it that hard to admit that
technically Keith Moon is very weak (there are guys
miles ahead from him in this subject, such as Bill
Bruford or Dave Weckl), or that, at least nowadays,
there are bassists out there that are better than John
Entwistle? It's a normal thing. Since the begginings
of music we had guys that were the best ones on their
time, and them they influenced hundreds of others, and
then some of these hundreds could surpass the first.
There's no difference when talking about bass guitar:
nobody could be compared to John Entwistle in the
golden who era, but nowadays there are some guys out
there that can surpass him, such as Marcus Miller,
Victor Wooten, etc. I had this opinion some time ago,
to me there was no better drummer in the world than
Keith Moon, and no better bassist than John Entwistle.
By doing that, I had my ears closed to lots of other
great musicians out there! Fortunately I've changed my
mind, and now I hear to a great variety of high
quality musicians, without choosing "invincible" ones...
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1