RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #303

Hi,

Having just skimmed through digest V8#303 I was interested to see debate
regarding Led Zeppelin and The Who.  Some interesting obseravations, a
couple of historical inaccuracies (whiche were corrected later by other
contributors) and some very outspoken opinions and I thought that I'd just
share with you all three live concert experiences (I've no points to prove
as these are just my opinions and feelings).

1974 - The Who at Charlton FC - A tremendously hot day, a rammed football
ground and some blistering performances with, IMHO, Humble Pie giving a
magnificent Who a real run for their money!  Stevie Marriott's voice was
outstanding and the way the band seemed to "attack" from the get-go has
really stuck in my memory.  The Who pulled out all the stops, delivered a
set that had my hair standing on end and my (then) girlfriend virtually
wetting herself watching Daltery cavort around the stage.  And then they
switched 6 - 8 "super trooper" searchlights / landing lights on from the
stands facing the stage and the effect was electrifying with 60,000+ punters
cheering their heads off, truly outstanding!!

1975 - Led Zeppeling @ Earls Court -  After much anticipation and hype Led
Zeppelin bring to the UK their "American" show.  In other words we are
treated to spectacular lighting / lasers and video screens (I think!).  I'm
completely off my tits as I'd discovered early on that for me Led Zep are /
were an excellent band to watch after swallowing a couple of tabs of acid.
The show begins, Zep, begin and the marathon starts to unwind.  New songs,
old songs flash past in displays of brilliance and technical virtuosity that
is rare to find (either then or now), Plant wails and struts, Page lopes
around with his guitar slung from his waist and black curls falling, Jones
stand still throbbing with his bass and Bonham is Bonham - brash, crude,
ugly, powerful!  The main difference between them and the Who - Led Zep
insisted on playing a lengthy set (around 3hrs) BUT instead of it being
packed full of killer punches they wish to indulge their "brilliance" so we
get No Quarter for fifteen minutes too many, Moby Dick is wheeled out and I
head to the bar and toilets for at least another twenty minutes!  All in all
the lasers are great, Zeppelin ROCK when they're in top gear BUT they allow
their indulgences to weaken an otherwise great idea and set!

1976 - The Who @ Charlton - Unlike '74 the weather is shitty and rains off
and on for most of the day.  The other acts are all "workman like",
unfortunately the brilliance of Little Feats doesn't shine through
mid-afternoon on a rainy English day in May!  The Sensational Alex Harvey
Band amuse and entertain and where I'm seated (towards the front to the
right of stage as you face it) fights keep breaking out as the venue is
rammed to a frightening capacity due to gate crashers / counterfoil tickets.
By the time that The Who take the stage everyone, including them, is ready
for action and after mopping the stage down that's what Daltrey, Townshend,
Entwhistle and Moon proceed to do.  The high points of that show are still
too many to recount, but when the effects of lasers, mirrors and
searchlights come on during the See Me, Feel Me finale I know that I've just
witnessed, for me, the ultimate WHO performance.  And, unlike Zeppelin,
there's no extra flannel or farting around as the set is just a constant
stream of perfect songs with pretty stunning playing and all delivered in a
series of killer punches and it's over and done with within two and half
hours and any solo are restricted a few minutes of fancy fret or sticks
work!!

So, there you all are.  It maybe of interest, it may not be and I don't
believe that I'm trying to make or prove any point.  But, I do know for me
that no matter HOW good Led Zeppelin are / were they just don't QUITE make
it to the same level as THE WHO (regardless of the line-up / drummer).

NIGEL MORTON
Moneypenny,
The Stables, Westwood House,
Main Street, North Dalton,