Re: Cigars & Bo Peep; Rock Gods & Profanity

> No you don't.

Kevin:

I didn't want to. But I must, I must...

> Well, I guess I could have been *more* accurate to describe him as a
critic
> with a past deep liking for The Who.

Dime a dozen. I've seen `em come and go like `80's sitcoms.
I read him more as a critic who thinks it's cool to mention The Who (because
after all everyone mentions The Beatles, Stones, etc) so he did. But his
knowledge of the band is limited by the popularity of the album(s). Always a
bad sign. I wonder if he's ever heard Sunrise. Probably not. Then he ain't
no Who fan, right?
Guess he wasn't cool enough to reference The Kinks. Oh well. Me, I would
have mentioned Big Country or Peter Green or Bob Mould or Link Wray or even
JJ Cale. All of which simply means I'm too cool to be a critic. I'll,
(sniff), I'll just have to find a way to live with that...
Speaking of which, I just ran across a great new CD by Peter Green called
Time Traders (2001). And for all of you "Clapton is God" folks out there who
dare to listen to it, prepare to be spanked.

> We could use a bunch more like him doing reviews of show's including The
> Who.

Not if he's this clueless. It's like a little isn't enough, if you know what
I mean. He "knows" just enough to be dangerous, to get out a lot of
misinformation. Sort of like that guy Giuliano who wrote the  Townshend bio
Behind Blue Eyes; he was wrong as much as he was right. Most of the readers
probably didn't know that.

> Yep, got to admit you've got a point there.  I had the same thought.

Yes, it occurs naturally to a REAL Who fan. So he failed the test, and I
know I will forget her...uh, I mean him.

> He *did* listen to Tommy until the "needle wore the grooves grey" though.

So did a lot of people. I went through 8-Tracks of Tommy & WN like they were
hunks of disposable plastic...oh, right, they were. Anyway, Tommy and Who's
Next were the sort of albums everyone bought that year, like Thriller or
what's that one with Boys Of Summer by Don Henley?

> Sounds like one of the sheep lost it's way, and just made it back home.

I think Bo Peep is still looking for him, myself.

> But *that's* the point!
> The "masses" were moved, my man!
> The *masses* were moved.

That's great. Let's see if they can remember it past the next VH1 awards.

> Who was it that actually invented this rockgod statement?  Was it Roger
> Daltrey, or Mick Jagger?

Keets:

All I can say is: Jagger is no Rock GOD. He might be a Jester. Pan sans the
pipes.

> Pete and Roger both have mentioned that they were impressed by the
"erotic"
> quality of Mick Jagger's performance when The Who opened for The Stones,
and
> this may have contributed to the image that Roger later developed.

I could say you have a point, but I can't see ANY Jagger in Rog's actions on
stage. He's MUCH more aggressive. Like a Viking. As for Plant, well...I
never have any problem countering any Zep fan who smuggly suggests something
about Pete being gay. I mean: "Oh oh oh oh oh oh/You don't have to go oh oh
oh oh..." The lightest Roger ever got was: "I just like your nose..."

> not that much, actually, in the official published lyrics.  You'll hear
> much more in the between-song banter than in the music.

Alan:

Definitely. I think Pete uses them like a scalpel rather than a
sledgehammer. As some other bands have done. Then again, as blunt as Zappa
can be I have to say his use of profanity also inspires admiration in me.
Broken Hearts Are For Assholes...how could it be said better than that?
Sometimes you just have to go there. The Sex Pistols. Perfect useage, IMHO.

"God may have mercy on you, but we won't."
        Senator John McCain

               Cheers                 ML