Fastball learn The Real Me from Whotabs!

>From AllStar at:
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/redirect/leaf=allstararticle/fid=265995
/from=sr-117124

Fastball Talks About Who Tribute Record
May 4, 2001, 3:30 pm PT

The star-studded, long-awaited Who tribute record, Substitute: The Songs of
the Who, will finally see release June 12 on indie label Edel Records. The
disc features an impressive, genre-crossing lineup that includes longtime
Who acolytes Pearl Jam ("The Kids Are Alright"), as well as Sheryl Crow
("Behind Blue Eyes"), David Bowie ("Pictures of Lily"), Phish ("5:15"),
Fastball ("The Real Me"), and the Who themselves (with Kelly Jones)
performing a live version of the title track.

According to Fastball bassist Tony Scalzo, picking just which song to
perform on the record wasn't a pleasant experience. "The other guys in the
band were picking songs that were on the radio all the time, and I didn't
want to do that. I wanted to do something different. Once we picked it, we
went into the studio and recorded it in one day."

The members of Fastball learned Pete Townshend's guitar part after tracking
down the tablature on the Internet, but Scalzo says they weren't worried
about how the Who would react to their version. "I knew it would be OK,
because we pretty much stuck to the song the way it originally was. It's not
a departure from the way they did it. I've loved them since I was 12, back
when they were a band, still."

As for Fastball, the group recently got off the road, and Scalzo plans to
spend most of the summer touring with his side group, the Young Heart
Attacks, while singer Miles Zuniga is off working in France. "He's going to
a songwriting castle in France run by [Sting's manager] Miles Copeland, for
a seminar," Scalzo says. "I'm a little jealous, frankly."

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm

And check out WhoTabs at: