Re: meltdown/comeback TKAA2K

>I've heard and seen some of the "Join Together" material.  I didn't see any
>of the tour.  It's just too polished and boring for *me* to sit through
>much of it.  I'll refrain from hurling insults at you for now.

Well, thanks for that!  ;)

I heard whole new dimensions to The Who sound on this tape.  Until then, I
really didn't put Pete Townshend into the COMPOSER category.  I thought he
was just a great songwriter, you know.  But with the big band, all the
sudden he's hinting at Aaron Copeland.  This sound was even more developed
with the Quad band, and I still heard it on the 2000 tour.  I'm a classical
music fan, and I love that stuff.

I'm not sure what happened.  Pete had been away from The Who for a while,
working with the Deep End band and maybe developing a feel for what he'd
like to do.  When he came back to work with The Who, there's a definite
shift toward jazz.  Pete played less, but I love some of the work he did on
the Quad tour.  Without the horns last summer and with Pete filling in more,
the shift wasn't so evident, but the difference in technique was still
there.  He couldn't have gotten to where he is without going through the Big
Band stage first.

keets