Re: New Who

> What I'm thinking is if The Who go with their classic sound, they risk being
> perceived as having nothing to contribute (essentially making an album for
> the money, cashing in while there's still a market).

I don't think the sound is the issue here.  The *songs* have to be decent.  I'd
be happy with the "classic sound" & a good batch of songs.  I just want a good
rock album.

What's good?  What are decent songs?  I can't say for sure, but I'd like to here
a new WHO album that's not too slick.  That Gateway bullshit that most of you
out there enjoyed makes me sick & emabarrassed.  Every friend I played that
for thought it was corny & reactionary (please, no jokes about my limited number
of "friends").

> If they go with a
> completely different sound (like the Gateway mix), while they can still be
> called for attempting to sound "young" they will at least have moved forward
> and are taking risks...something The Who used to be famous for.

I thought the Gateway thing was a step sideways, not forwards.  I don't mind
some electonic weirdness.  In fact, I enjoy it!  Use keyboards, samples, effects,
drum machines......I don't care.  Just give us good songs.  Good lyrics.  Good
art.  (When I say "drum machines" above, I'm certainly not calling for a replace-
ment of Zak.  Only as an effect, used sparingly, would I tolerate a drum machine
on a WHO album.)

And make it raw, too.  Loud guitar.  Loud drums.  Mainly upbeat songs.  Some
cussin'.  Give Daltery a main vocal track.  Pete gets two, or at the most three,
guitar tracks.  OX gets one.  Zak gets one.  Backing vocals.  A few left-over
tracks for some weirdness effects, if needed.  Voila!  There it is!  New WHO
album.

Honestly, if a new WHO album had 6 - 10 kick-ass songs on it & the production
sounded exactly the same as WHO'S NEXT, I wouldn't be disapponted.  That's not
to say I believe the next WHO album *should* have the WN sound; I'm stressing
that the actual songs *have* to be catchy, intelligent, loud, & raw for this hypotheti-
cal new WHO album to be anything more than a joke.

- SCHRADE in Akron