Re: After an album, what?

>Why can't we have our cake and eat it too?  If you look at the set lists
>from '71-'72, they were gradually putting more Lifehouse songs into the mix
>while shrinking the Tommy portion.  Why not trot out a half dozen new songs
>for the next tour and cut back on the oldies a bit.  Some of the old stuff
>will always have to be kept in, because the legacy of The Who is so great.

Might work.  Depends on what they come out with.  If it's a rock opera,
shouldn't they produce it all at once?  I think we got a couple of songs
from it already, as a teaser on the last tour.

>keets "It's interesting that The Who never seems to have altered their
>music in search of a younger audience.  They're always trend setters, ahead
>of current taste, rather than copying anything identifiable."
>
>Except for the need to play their own old stuff in their old age.

That's been going on for years.  As soon as TOMMY hit, they were stuck with
doing the old stuff.

>keets "Pete is so ambivalent that I'm sure kids will find something to
>identify with in the album, as well as fifty-somethings."
>
>I'm not too sure about that.  I think their audience will always be
>dominated by adults.

There have got to be kids listening.  There are testimonials on the lists
every day where folks laud The Who for getting them through adolescence.
Pete must hear it a lot, too.  Didn't he refer to it a while back in his
diaries?

>keets  "It seems to me that the older Pete gets, the more he looks
>backward.

>Now I'm on board with you here, but aren't you contradicting your
>expectation that they will do something "trend setting"?

I don't think so.  It's always a creative synthesis they come out with.
Notice how they updated their sound on this last tour-- regardless of how
much the seventies fans complained.  There were lots of musicians out there
in the audience listening live, too, and I bet they didn't care that it was
greatest hits on stage.  They were watching the technique and listening to
the sound.  I loved those jams on old songs that turned into new songs, too.
  For anyone who was really listening, there were lots of trend-setting gems
in the last tour.

keets