From: Jeff House <jjthandmeh@juno.com>
To: Mark R. Leaman <mleaman@sccoast.net>, "O'Neal, Kevin W."
<Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>
Sent: March 14, 2001 2:02:09 PM GMT
Subject: New Orleans '71 on Napster

I've been madly trying to download some precious boot tracks before Napster
dies.  The servers were quite bogged down over the weekend and I was
prepared to give up on it, but it was cooking last night.  There is a user
on there named "simontownshend" who has a fine library.

I have been looking for some early performances of Lifehouse songs to
compliment the 2000 Lifehouse tracks.  New Orleans '71 and Brussels '72 have
been the two best shows for this purpose.  They are a bit more obscure (to
me) than the obvious Young Vic recordings.  This is a very interesting
period in the evolution of the Who's sound.  Thanks Mark Leaman for pointing
me there.

Some conjecture on these two shows, keeping in mind that I have only heard a
few tracks:

- They were at the tail end of the Tommy craze, so the set lists were
largely dominated by Tommy (especially New Orleans).

- The sound is somewhere between Tommy and Who's Next, with the guitar
getting fatter and the synths being introduced (sometimes quite awkwardly).
How many fans were bitching about the sound change not being Tommy/Sell
Out/MG enough for them at the time?  It made me think of the bitching we've
had to endure this year about how Pete in thin, John is trebly, Roger's lost
range, Zak is not Keith, and Rabbit doesn't even belong in the mix with his
Hammond.

- Could it be that the 2000 sound is the bridge between Who's Next and the
next great Who work?

Jeff