Re: Kenny's Drums

> Maybe we're using different definitions of "oomph,"

There *are* several!

> Maybe the
> video sound quality does obscure it, but you can actually see him hit the
> cymbals in close up in several of the shots and it visibly stops moving very
> soon after he hits it.

Thinner cymbals will do that.  A quick splash without much sustain.

> To sum up, Keith's being all over his kit and having skins and cymbals
> relatively loose led him to fill up a lot of the sound.

Ah yes, the great Keith Moon constant cymbal wash.

> Kenney hit harder
> but less and the sound died away quickly.

And also, Moon used those extra deep tom-toms from around '73 onward.
Kenny always used the smaller ones.

> It left gaps the rest of the band
> had to fill and with Pete not playing as much guitar on the studio albums...

A smaller, thinner, lighter, WHO sound was born!

- SCHRADE in Akron