This aint no social crisis!

>From: "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>
>Subject: RE: Daily Telegraph interview with Pete 02.06.01
>

>Oh dear, now I'm trying to clear this up on two lists at once.
>
>Anyway, here's an example. I think Nirvana made a great record with
>"Nevermind" (you may not agree). However, there was nothing new about it
>other than the lyrics and melody. The style of music on the record was a
>rehash of what had been done 15 years earlier.

Sorry Brian for re-posting this from another list, but with this discussion
raging on, you are starting to approach my thinking.
Rock was dead?  What pray-tell was Grunge then?
Rocks just a sleepin'.

My 2 cents:
Let's never forget that music is *THE* mirror of society (replacing
mythology and text).
Music in the 60's was so powerful, because the times were quite powerful.
We saw it again in the early-mid 90's with Grunge and all the social unrest
of that time (due to poor economy, disillusionment, etc.).
I'm of the belief that when the mood is right, rock will again be the only
avenue to express what ever it is that will piss us off in the future.  When
something needs to be changed, rock will step in and provide the loud voice.
Just a shame that we are currently stuck in this "oh, I'm tired of being
angry.  I want something happy" phase that just makes me want to puke.  Back
Street Ninnies, and 'N-fink, and Brittney
Bitch..........Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!  Someone save me!
When the social crisis arrives, it will be rock with the new generations
twist, that will again save the day.
Hmmmmm, let's see........the hit song may be "no drilling", or maybe "take
this NAFTA and shove it", or something like that.
It will have been done before, but it will be new, and it will FUCKING ROCK!
Rock is nothing without the emotion behind it.
Hell, there's a new Jeffords song in VT called "leavin' your party, what a
wonderful way to say you love me".
(no, not really ;-)

In the mean time, while we all patiently wait for the next social uprising
that will again bring Rock to the forefront, there *IS* a clear musical void
at this time.  There also is a clear interest in the 60's generation
("you're still talkin' about it").

Enter The Who.

Kevin in VT