No Subject

I think nothing speaks more of your interest in Meher Baba than the fact
that here you are able to provide accurate footnotes while you have little
idea of the dates of your own Who career.

>4 ‘The Oceanic Concert’. Pete Townshend with Raphael Rudd. Rhino Records.
To be released 2001. Will
>be available www.eelpie.com

Is this the first we've heard about this?

>Sometimes a measure of
>censure or disapproval came out in my creative work – as with songs like
Acid Queen
>from Tommy. Indeed Tommy in its entirety could be said to carry an
anti-drug message.

I was thinking just yesterday about the hidden anti-drug messages that pop
up in your songs of this period. In addition to "The Acid Queen" and "We're
Not Gonna Take It" is "Naked Eye," "The Seeker" and one could say
Quadrophenia is anti-drug as well.

>So in February 1980 - with Keith long gone, and life delivering me its
usual
>problems - I picked up cocaine.

The second time you've been emphatic about this date. Now there is a person
from the late 1979 tour who claims that you were doing coke during that
tour. Not that I'm taking this guy's word (I've never met him).

>I loved it so much I used to sometimes sleep with a Remy
>Martin bottle in my arms like a pet cat.

So Hendrix sleeps with his guitar and you sleep with cognac. Incredibly Jimi
now sleeps with the fishes and you're still with us. Who'da thunk?

>On
>Valentine’s day 1982 I checked myself out of a month’s treatment in
California and went
>home to my family and The Who, and tried to pick up life where I had left
off. I quickly
>made some crazy mistakes in my life.

I wonder if you remember these dates since that would put you leaving Meg
Patterson's clinic two years to the day from when you supposedly began using
cocaine.

And what crazy mistakes could you be talking about? It couldn't be breaking
up The Who could it? Of course Charlesworth and Atkins would say it was
recording It's Hard.

>They moved within a year to new premises they still occupy in
>Shepherd’s Bush in London5 – very near the Goldhawk Road, an area very
important in
>The Who’s early career.

Deliberately? Coincidence?

>I would like to
>post some of my film and photographs of my two pilgrimages to India.

Let me be really greedy and say please, please post the version of Drowned
you did on video in India in 1976!

(message not sent to Pete in case you were wondering)

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm