Re: today Vrs yesterdays

At 07:53 4-7-01 +0000, DOQ wrote:

>   "Mr. President,
>
>      I sincerely have to express my feelings concerning the musician
>called:'Busta Rhymes', & many others like him in the feild of "RAP".
>      I belive that an ACT OF WAR is being perpitrated upon our Youth in
>this country within the Lyrical content of said musicians music, in
>the form of CONSPIRACY to insight MORAL INDECENCY by promoteing
>the VIOLENCE & influence of 'Islamic Gehad' aginst America.
>      THIS MUST STOP."
>
>      (to paraphraze myself a bit)
>
>    I'm not going to allow MY Childeren to be missled with CRAP like that,
>& end up hurting themselves or someone else with the nonsence of
>anarchy & violence. BUT, DEAR FRIENDS, I WILL gladly share with them
>the inlightening paths of bands like "THE WHO", & many, many others....
>
>      Any comments??
Bjorn said:
"And I don't think many parents in the 60's saw The Who as art
(they more saw it like 'HORRIBLE NOISE'). And nowadays it's 'art'. :-)
(kinda like Van Gogh's paintings, nobody liked them when he was alive) :-)
It's not the music that's raising 'our children'. It's the parents.
But I think George Bush won't see that and he will agree with you."

DOQ,
Be careful when you wade into political waters on this list, things can get
nasty real quick.

I completely disagree with you.  If the Repubs really wanted to stop
violence, music is the worst place to start.  How about guns, drug
treatment, poverty and education for starters?

I understand GW is preparing a new marketing campaign to get his poll
numbers back up.  Part of this is likely to be a self-righteous moralistic
stance like the one you propose against villanous rappers, movie makers and
video game producers.  That stuff plays great with the suburban moms who do
not like his environmental stances, and he would already have Joe Lieberman
on board.

Maybe you could sit next to him on one of his road trips as an example of
moral fortitude and righteousness.  As long as you're white,
judeo-christian, and have a few bucks in the bank you should fit right it
:-)

Bjorn has us yanks figured out.  Wasn't it Picasso that Roger compared The
Who to?  Wasn't it Pete who called GW a cunt last year?

Jeff