Re: The Real Keith Moon

>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:48:38 -0000
>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>
>The problem with buying boots is that you're taking royalties away from some
>artist (or artist's estate).

We've been over this a lot, and it's still not true.  If we're
talking about buying a taped copy of a broadcast, that is currently
commercially available, that's a pirated copy, not a boot.  Boots are
material made available through non-sanctioned sources, that is
otherwise unavailable.  Since there is no effort on the band's part
to release the material, they are not out any income from the boots.
As a side issue, boots are usually inferior to a legitimate release
of the same material if and when it IS released, and real fans will
buy the legit release both for the improved quality and loyalty to
the band.

This may be overanalyzing, but I think it's important not to tar
boots with the pirate's brush, if I may put it that way, when it's
apparently a pirate you're talking about.  Pirated copies and
counterfeits DO rob the artist and production companies of their
rightful due.  Boots don't.

Cheers,
--
Alan