Quad

Okay, now that I've procrastinated long enough for the Quad thread to wind
down, here's my pick for the least essential track: "Is It In My Head?"
(Even though I love the song.) Whoever said every one is essential was
pretty much right.  Pete seems to have taken out everything that wasn't
important all by himself, and the whole thing runs pretty tight.

Here's the breakdown:

Pete starts off in the (sort of) Overture, "I Am The Sea," with a synopsis
of the lyrical themes, Helpless Dancer, Is It Me?, Bell Boy, and Love Reign
O'er Me.  This pretty much gives you a guideline as to where he's going.  By
calling this "The Sea," he's also intimating that this is the vast sea of
humanity that he's talking about.

He begins the actual storyline with "The Real Me" where he establishes that
Jimmy is messed up, as is his family and the preacher and most folks Jimmy
has contact with.

"Quadrophenia" is more of the Overture, where Pete introduces his musical
themes.  (He did this with Tommy on "Sparks" too, I believe.  Didn't Michael
Kamen include "Sparks" with the Overture on DST?  I don't care much for
classical opera, so I admit to being vague about how it's put together.  Is
it common to split the overture like that?  Anybody know?)

The storyline continues with "Cut My Hair" where we find out that Jimmy is a
teenager and exactly what kind of problems he has with his parents, his
friends and his school.  "The Punk and the Godfather" instroduces Jimmy's
Mod affiliations, and also gives us an idea of the larger implications of
"gangs," that Jimmy's problems are a microcosm of adult politics.  At the
end of this one, we seem to get a message directly from Pete, a little
sideline of how it feels to be himself presenting this material.  "I'm One"
is how Jimmy feels about his situation, how he's a misfit that never will be
accepted by the gang, no matter how hard he tries.

"Dirty Jobs" introduces new voices and lets us see how Jimmy's elders have
done in the same world with the same problems.  That may be Jimmy at the
end, looking at their disillusionment and cynicism and thinking he knows
what's right.  "Helpless Dancer" explains more about what's right and what's
wrong with society, giving us more on the larger social implications of the
piece.

"Is It In My Head" expresses Jimmy's doubt and confusion after he's thought
about all the societal problems, and indicates he's looking for a direction.
  (I've picked this one as least essential because these things are somewhat
implied by the next few songs.) "I've Had Enough" says just that, and "5:15"
is Jimmy's attempt to run away from all his problems, and join with the gang
experience.  He's trying to become the "true believer" and put his faith in
a leader, rather than deal with things himself.

"Sea and Sand" and "Drowned" are detail Jimmy's experience trying immerse
himself in the gang and the political experience.  Though he still can't
seem to be quite right, he yearns for the oneness and the love and the
feeling of belonging that others seem to find.  "Bell Boy," of course, is
his final disillusionment, where he sees his leader is really a nobody and
the gang experience is false.

"Dr. Jimmy" is the emotional peak of the whole thing, expressing Jimmy's
fury at how everything has failed him, his family, his friends, his girl,
and now his leader.  He goes wild, wanting to fight, to hurt someone, and to
get even.  "The Rock" is an interlude, letting us digest what's been said,
and also allowing the music to build up tension before the final
denouncement.

And here it is: "Live Reign O'er Me."  This is Pete's final statement on the
matter, not really an answer, of course.  This kind of problem has no
answer, but what he offers is hope, strength, and a continuing search.

Not bad, all in all.  Do you suppose The Met would be interested?

;)
keets