No Subject

>can't change the lyrics!"  There's no admiration or praise in Rotten's
voice
>regarding The WHO here.  "Fuck that," I believe is what he says in the
>movie.

Yeah, but that's his persona. I don't believe it for a minute.

>But punk didn't really change anything, did it?

I think it did. I think it set the stage for a change which was much needed.
After Punk came New Wave, the most insteresting and original Rock period
since the early 60's (IMHO).

>>The Ramones are universally recognized by all who love rock music and
>>know anything at all about the history and development of classic rock as
>>one of the original if not THE seminal punk rock band

I missed this original post, but I must disagree vehemently. Some have said
this, true (and some think Paul McCartney was a dangerous Rock star), but
it's the Pistols who get the real glory on this one. And so it should be;
The Ramones were nowhere near as original and committed (else they would
have broken up after one album, how much more Punk can you get...you'd have
to die before you got old), they were merely a product of their limitations.
And, as Brian pointed out, The Pistols didn't follow them. Nor did Patti
Smith, who was around long before she became famous.

>>Rolling Stones magazine included The Ramones 1976 debut album as one of
the
>>100 greatest rock albums of all time.

Rolling Stone magazine is no more than a poor clone of People magazine.

>- -Joey Ramone quote well suited for GW Bush's inaugural speech

Jeff:

Ah, but very telling is Georgie's choice of RICKY MARTIN to perform for his
inaugural party! I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe! A true NO BRAINER in
so MANY ways!
At the same time, I'm suddenly glad I haven't liked any Van Morrison music
in a good 25 years (he's playing there too).

>P2P has barely even begun yet in my opinion.

Brian W.:

But now they'll be going after the Internet providers, which will eventually
shut it down.

>I think that the only problem with that label is with
>the new "prog" bands of today, such as Anekdoten,
>Änglagård, etc. As their style is based on something
>that was being done in the seventies, then it's
>strange to call them "progressive".

Lucas:

Most labels tend to stick, though...for instance, in my store I put new Tom
Petty CDs in Classic Rock...the new U2 went into the 80's section with the
others. I put Black Crowes in Classic Rock too, because the music certainly
is! And more importantly, that's where the people who like it look.
And an interesting thing: tonight on the Progressive music choice satellite
channel, they played John Lennon's Mind Games. Not what *I* would consider
progressive (although a case could be made for Tomorrow Never Knows or I Am
The Walrus).

>them progressive, because bands such as Gentle Giant,
>King Crimson, Jethro Tull, etc, were surely making
>rock musically richer.

Renaissance, The Strawbs, Hawkwind, Shadowfax, Roxy Music, Atomic Rooster,
Can, Genesis (WITH Gabriel, of course!), Nektar. `Course on the Progressive
boxed set Supernatural Fairy Tales, these bands are included (which I would
question): Golden Earring, Wishbone Ash, Focus, Traffic, Pretty Things???

>that. If a band puts out good music, to me it's fine.

Yeah, hard to disagree with that.

>Have you heard the three albuns with Bruford and John
>Wetton? They are far from similar to Tull...

I was thinking of the first two albums, but the change really came when it
became a four man band.

>that, musically, there's absolutely nothing new on the

Nothing at all. Punk was not an innovative trend.

>style. I always was bothered when someone said that
>the who was the first punk band, because the who,
>musically, was infinite times superior to punk bands,
>even on their simple songs. Which punk band has bass
>lines such as The Who has?

Don't look at it that way. Consider, rather, that The Who NOT ONLY invented
Punk but Heavy Metal and Progressive Rock too! This apart from their effect
on Rock in general...but more specifically.

>Yeah, but different people react different with songs.
>Would it be wrong if some person was more stimulated
>by a Tull song than by a Who song?

Yes. By Gawd, there oughta be a law.

>Well, I think that a band such as King Crimson would
>be terribly awful with Keith Moon on drums.

I can imagine it. Imagine...stay with me now, imagine 21st Century Schiziod
Man with Keith...ahhhh....yes...now try Elephant Talk...uh huh...that's got
it...

>You chose a bad example. Both bands have songs to jump
>around (I'm Free, Bastille Day) or not (Limelight,
>Tatoo)

Well, I have yet to hear the Rush song that doesn't sound a bit flat and
contrived, whereas even in their most synthesized moments (Quad? 905?) The
Who have that natural get-up-outta-yer-seat thing. "I'd rather lose me to
find you..."

>"Hemispheres" and "Exit... Stage Left" did...

OK. They just never hit me, I guess. I tried, though.

>Now you've come to a personal matter.

I try as much as I can to disengage myself from preference here. Instead, I
look to what happened when and where, and what can be seen as a result.
Basically a "family tree" of albums which show the trends of Rock music over
the years. Pearl Jam, I think, made the most essential album of the 90's.
They might be on the end of a branch, but still one should own Ten. Every
song on it speaks to you, maybe depending on your life experience, but to me
a song like Black is every bit as moving as Sunrise or Tangerine (Zeppelin).
Man, WHAT a song! Alive...well, I could go on and on about Ten...I just
think it's essential.

>Now we don't agree. Maybe there could be some
>similarities with ELP (both were called prog-rock,

Both have that synthesized sterility. You can hear a bit on that in
Industrial, and newer stuff like Orgy and White Zombie too.

>Derek and The Dominos???

It's that percision thing. Like I said, listen to thier version of Little
Wing. Even the song Layla has it, really. Key To The Highway, Tell The
Truth...yeah, it's there.

>Peart or Bruford, for that matter). I've played with a
>guy that could cover the three styles perfectly well.

Then he should be a star, because I've never heard a professional drummer in
ANY recorded band who could!

>I'm a little out of touch here, too.  What kind of demographics does SNL
>have?  Kids' show?  Adult show?  Mixed?

Keets:

Is it still on the air? It was dead about 20 years ago...when did Eddie
Murphy leave?

"I want it to be said that the Bush administration was a results-oriented
administration, because I believe the results of focusing our attention and
energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's
responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system
that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be—a more
literate country and a hopefuller country."

                       George "I makes them up as I needs them" Bush

                            Cheers                                ML