Re: WHO Are You - Lifehouse Chronicles (Non-Gateway)

> Just reading today's digest and listening to Lifehouse Chronicles.
> Check out the Cymbils on the early part of Who Are You.  Is Pete
> playing here.  I think his timing is fantastic.

Yeah, that's Pete on live drums.  He's actually playing something more
complicated than Moon does on the album version.  Pete's actually a
pretty good drummer.  Conventional & stiff, but expressive, too.  He
does funny things, if that makes sense.  He's trying for more than *just*
a backbeat.

That cymbal bit you're talking about is traditional, but traditional doesn't
mean easy.  I doubt Moon could play that.  Something similar maybe,
but not that.  Those are what they call 'chops.'  Like when some fuck-
head told me once that he didn't think Keith Moon was a good drummer
because he didn't have good 'chops.'  Chops.  Whatever.  If that's what
good drumming is based on then God help us all 'cause were living in the
last days.

What often gets overlooked when drummers are evaluated is 'dynamics.'
I here now go on record by saying that no drummer in Rock had/has/or
likely will have the dynamics that Keith Moon had.  His ability to caress
& flow through a song, creating moods & tones as he went is unparalleled
by anyone.

Many drummers are kick-ass drummers but they just provide the drums.
Moon, more than anyone, used to drums as an *instrument* to become
an integral presence in each song.  Expressive but relevant.  That's real
tough to do!

- SCHRADE in Akron