Re: projects for Roger

> > It was a riveting movie, but there was
> > no clear message.  I have the same complaint about Pete's short films,
>too. They tend to be very obscure.
>
>Sometimes vagueness is OK.  Gives the viewer's imagination a little room to
>roam.

Yeah, I guess.  But unless there are some really striking images, you don't
tend to come back to something like that.  I love the way WHITE CITY starts,
but it's just too ambiguous, so I haven't watched it more than a couple of
times.  It's the kind of thing that's supposed to have meaning, you
know--there's nothing else to entertain me.  If it was an eye-candy dance
video, I wouldn't worry about it.

Compare to Michael Jackson's THRILLER (meaning) and Santana's SUPERNATURAL
(not much meaning) for short films.

Same for MCVICAR.  It's the kind of thing that you don't do without some
purpose, but I couldn't see it in the movie.  Roger had to say it in an
interview before people knew what he meant to do.

Compare to QUAD, where there's a definite statement, but ambiguous enough to
make you think before you can put it together.

> >  TED do very well with a good director, though.  QUAD the movie is
>excellent, as is "Happy Jack" and "Cobwebs and Strange."
>
>What clear message are you getting out of that "Cobwebs & Strange"
>'video?!' Moon's nuts.  That's the only message I get!

Yeah, that's it.  :)

Both these videos are highly entertaining, mainly because of the spontaneous
creativity they catch.  I'll bet there were no scripts involved at all.  The
first is a gangster spoof, of course, where they break in and then get
sidetracked by the cake.  The second is more free form, and harder to pin
down.  If you want an interpretation, the tea party reminds me of ALICE, and
I guess the hat is some kind of mind control device.  They chase Moon down
and rescue him, and then Pete puts it on.  Is it about the Mad Hatter,
maybe?

>Incidentally, did ya ever notice the full, lips-and-all, kiss that Moon
>plants on Daltrey towards the end of that 'video?'  Then look for Roger to
>wipe his mouth >with his sleeve!

Definitely priceless.

> > I also like Pete's "Rough Boys" video.  Likely Pete would be the
> > best choice to design the sets.
>
>Pete has people to do that stuff for him now.  He ain't designing no sets.

Okay, it was a joke.  I bet he has ideas about what he wants, though.  The
Eelpie album covers have been great.

>"Pete & I just don't feel comfortable in each other's company."
>
>Of course, now they're 'mates' again.  Sharing dressing rooms.  Who knows.

I don't think they were quite that chummy.  During the tour, Pete did a
couple of diaries where he mentioned his PRIVATE dressing room.

keets