Lurkers Thoughts

Just a few thoughts from a guy who posts next to never, but always enjoys
the discussion.  Most of these will concern the past two years, but I have
to admit that I am a younger WHO fan and some of my recent realizations
about the band are probably old news to many of you.

Zak IS a great drummer, and Zak IS NOT Keith Moon.  If you think about it,
that statement alone could end lots of bickering that seems to go nowhere.

I saw the WHO in Cleveland, I thought they played very good.  In my opinion,
the best moments to be had were any in which improvisation was the order,
songs like AAA, and TKAAR, 515.  During these moments the band seemed to be
putting a stronger effort into it, which in turn was a stark contrast to
songs in which no improvisation took place.

There are a ton of WHO "greatest hits" albums available.

After watching a good number of live film on the band, it seems to me that
the 'classic' WHO live sound came into play whenever Pete or Keith were at
the top of their game.  John was always very willing and able to follow them
into uncharted territory, but it seemed as if they were the ones who had to
start playing at that level first.  Roger was and is a great performer, but
to his credit he was very consistent with a kind of 'very happy to be here'
attitude for each show.

My favorite albums are (in no order)

Who's Next
LA Leeds
Quad

I'm hearing the resounding no duh from everyone out there, but if you think
about it, each of these albums represent a different peak in performance by
the band, with Who's Next being creativity and idea, Live at Leeds capturing
their brilliance on stage, and Quad (my favorite) showcasing a great general
gel between brilliant lyrics, arrangement, and musicianship; being a BAND,
which is something they really didn't do very often.

And lets not forget, we are prophets out there in a new world of WHO
ignorance.  we must remain strong, for we can convert those around us.
Those being people who thought the name of the band was tommy, those who
claim they 'like' the songs pinball wizard and teenage wasteland.

peace to all my brethren,

Leej

----