Re: The kids may be alright, but not to write for

>Were they withdrawn, or never considered? The end result wasn't a musical,
>so it's not like they decided against them for other, perhaps more
>commercials songs.

I thought Pete pitched the original movie idea including use of his music
and got it accepted, but then the project stalled a couple of times and was
reworked, and for the final version Michael Kamen did the music.

IRON MAN was actually produced as a musical in London, wasn't it?  Did
anybody see it?

>What modern sound do you mean? This old fan heard The Who as they were LAL
>era plus a keyboard (hardly modern). To me, they sounded more modern with
>WN or Quad than on this last tour. And someone complained???

Yeah.  The most vocal complaintant was Sean Whoooooo, who was on this list
briefly.  He seriously did not like Pete's guitar sound.  Folks complain
about John's bass being muddy, too.  But a couple of younger fans mentioned
something about a piercing quality, which I gather is charactistic of modern
rock sound.  There was also something about the drums, which I can't recall.
  I gather that Zak has some grasp of the current sound, as well as Keith
Moon's technique.

> >Who.  I could see them doing work for children if they all cooperated on
>a project.
>
>I can't see it...The Who were never about children, with the possible
>exception of some of their weaker songs like Happy Jack. But more than
>anything else, lyrically and musically, they were about tension,
>frustration and unresolved anger.

And how to deal with it, right?  But actually TED are talented folks, and
they can do other stuff, as well.  Do you get that same feeling from Pete
Townshend solo?

John's Who songs seem to have been a success with children all along, as
well as with adults, and he's broken into the children's animation market
with VANPIRES.  Roger plays surprisingly well to children, too, as you can
tell from his resume: THE WIZARD OF OZ, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, LEPRECHAUNS,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, BUDDY, and etc.  I might add A LITTLE MATCH GIRL,
except I think that one's too scary for children.

There are advantages to the family entertainment market.  It pays pretty
well (notice how much Elton John made last year), and also it identifies you
to kids, who will be your audience within a few years.  You're right that it
wouldn't be good for TED to be associated mainly with children's
entertainment, but I don't think it would hurt them to produce something for
the kids.

What did you think of VANPIRES?

keets