Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #35

> Scott,
>
> Sounds to me that you just described "Pure Rock
> Theatre" which was originally put out on the Hiwatt
> label, a spinoff of Scorpio.

Like I told Mark, I think this one is a bit different.

> Some of the problems you mentioned actually sound to
> me to be either amp related or guitar related. There
> are some sloppy moments, but overall not bad. I'll
> take any  quality recorded livve material I can get my
> hands on from that era.

I know what you mean.  Sometimes Pete punishes his guitars so much,
they just give out.  Bam!  They're dead.  Pete's pissed.  This usually seems
to happen during "Heaven & Hell" or "Young Man Blues."  Or on "Sparks."

Isn't it on PURE ROCK THEATER where you can hear Pete verbally
abusing poor Bobby Pridden after "Heaven & Hell" because the guitar keeps
crapping out?

And I have a version of "Young Man Blues" where OX & Moonie get to do
a little 'rhythm section' solo in the middle of the song while Pete gets a fresh
guitar to start the whole process all over again.

> The Young Man Blues here is supposedly from the Ottawa
> show, 15 Oct 1969. Makes you wonder just how much of
> the "destroyed" tapes from this tour actually exist.

Yeah, I wonder the same.

- SCHRADE in Akron