RE: Drummers/Pete and Costello/Gloria

>Subject: Drumming away on the thin ice of a new day.

cpb - You just opened up the proverbial can-o-worms my friend.  You must not
have seen the the banter from the previous years on this list on the subject
of drummers, especially John Bohnam.  Oooooooo-woooo, I don't know if I want
to get involved in this one again.  Countless victims of this conventional
conflict have mounted over the years.  Albeit, nobody I've read on this list
has been fool enough to say that Keith Moon isn't their favorite drummer.
That would be akin to jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge into a vat of boiling
oil...  Of course Moon is at the pinnacle of my drummer list, but to play
devil's advocate, here's my other favs (not in any particular order) are:

Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, Stewart Copeland, Phil Collins (when he played
that is), Chester Thompson, Grant Hart, Ginger Baker, Alan White, and Gene
Krupa.  Notice that Bohnam is conspicuously absent?  I won't bother to
explain why... someone else will.  Keep your head down...

Jeff:

>This Pete vs. Roger comedy routine
>works on stage, when they can exchange words and smirks directly.  It does
>not work on PT.com.
>
>Just one opinion.
>
>Jeff

When you look at the history of Pete and Roger, they have exchanged
challenges, knocks, put-downs, criticism, hostility, praise, indignance,
etc, etc, etc... ever since the very first interviewer started asking them
questions.  As early as the mid 60s, I believe the two have been sparring in
interviews and it continues to this day.  If you want the truth, it's my
opinion that Pete and Roger should NOT be chummy pals.  That is part of the
reason The Who were/are so friggin' great - the rivalry between the two
keeps them competing for the audience's attention and therefore forcing them
to step up their game just to spite the other.  If that rivalry disappeared,
a potent element in The Who's chemistry disappears with it.  I just couldn't
imagine a Who without some kind of animosity between Pete and Rog - it's
always been there despite their attempts at "loving" each other like
brothers today.  Good fuel for the vehicle known as The Who.

I do agree with you though about Pete's slamming Roger.  At least in the old
days, Roger could volley back in another interview.  He doesn't have a
website, does he?

Gloria:

I don't remember seeing any other video from It's Hard except the "Eminence
Front" vid.  That's the one where they are apparently doing a sound check
version of it, right?  I haven't seen that one in years...  Anyway, I think
that was it, as far as videos from It's Hard.

As for Who Are You, there is that recording session clip from the Kids Are
Alright movie.  I think that was supposed to be a "promotional" film for
release with the album, but Moonie died and threw a wrench into that.  Aside
from that, I've never seen any "videos" or clips from WAY.  I'm sure someone
on the list can confirm that or provide the actual facts.

Have a great weekend Who heads and Happy Who-Year...

Jim in Colo Springs

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."  Raoul Duke