Re: new Who?

>>"Eminence Front" for me, please.  How is it constructed?  What is it that
>>makes the song a hit?
>
>Well, it had a simple yet compelling riff.

Tsk, tsk.  You didn't say anything there at all about compelling lyrics.  ;)

Sure 'nough, this is the song from IT'S HARD that's the biggest hit, and
also that I'd say Pete did the least amount of work on.  It's mostly a
clever word play.

Here's how it goes:

The sun shines
And people forget
The spray flies as the speedboat glides
And people forget
Forget they're hiding
The girls smile
And people forget
The snow packs as the skier tracks
And people forget
Forget they're hiding.

So far, this is a picture of the leisure class at play.  There's only that
one repeated line "Forget they're hiding" that suggests he's going to get to
anything else.

Behind an eminence front
Eminence front - it's a put on
Come on join the party
Dress to kill
Won't you come and join the party
Dress to kill.

Okay, here it is--the word play.  A front suggests war and "dress to kill"
suggests social backstabbing.  But the rest of this doesn't say anything
else.  It's just a repeat.  How long did Pete slave over these lyrics?
Anybody want to guess?

The drinks flow
People forget
That big wheel spins, the hair thins