RE: New Who ?

> >Does any of "Baba O'Riley" really make sense?
>
>Yes.

No, no!  Really I'm serious!!!  The man never makes any sense.  :)  For
example, here's "Baba."

Out here in the fields
I fight for my meals
I get my back into my living
I don't need to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven

It starts off okay.  Assuming I don't know anything about the history of
this song, I can infer that this is a working guy speaking, and maybe a
farmer, since he talks about fields and getting his back into it.  That is a
nice touch about not needing to fight etc.--but now I'm into interpretation,
right?  What the heck does he mean by that?

Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only teenage wasteland

Worse yet, what's this about?  Dunno.  I'll have to guess.

Sally, take my hand
Travel south cross land
Put out the fire
Don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here

Ah, this is a little clearer.  There's a woman involved!  And it looks like
she's supposed to put out the household fire and follow him on a journey of
some kind.  Dunno what that is about looking past his shoulder, though.
Exodus?  Hmmm.  Other people are going along, too?

The happy ones are near
Let's get together
Before we get much older

What happy ones?  Is that who they're getting together with, or is he
wanting to get together with the woman?

Teenage wasteland
It's only teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
Oh, oh
Teenage wasteland
They're all wasted!

Uh-oh.  Where did the wasted teenagers come from?  Okay, there's a word play
here between wasted and wasteland, but what does that have to do with the
rest of the song?

Okay, so this is pretty much a total loss.  I've got a farmer and a woman,
and they're going on a journey south through a land of wasted teenagers.
Yeah, right.  Great song.  ;)

keets